Sunday, April 2, 2017

Surprise!

While we were in Minnesota I lined up for our amazing and talented friend Julie to take family photos (our first family photos to boot). I'll share those in another post as there are just too many goodies! I immediately told my sister Molly about the photos, as we talk about everything and anything. She was excited for me. I let her know exactly when they'd be done as she needed to know our daily ins and outs, so that we could see each other as much as possible. Little did I know she'd be using this info to hit me with the sweetest surprise. She's got a thing for surprises that sister of mine. She also loves to make people feel special. I'm pretty darn lucky to have blood in common with such a sweet specimen. Between Molly, Mom/Dad, Aunt Jenny, Katie and Paul a surprise belated 30th birthday was in the works. Special mention: my best friend Katie couldn't be there as our trip was delayed from the original planned date. She didn't let that stop her from being part of the party. She sent through some super festive and totally Meaghan decorations for the party.

Anyways...after our photos we were meant to be having an early Thanksgiving family dinner at my Aunt Jenny's. Our photos took a little longer than expected as we were dealing with a hungry newborn who also liked to sleep on the boob at the time. Now I'm lucky if he'll feed for five minutes without getting distracted. Back to my point, was there a point? Molly called me a few times to see what the hold up was. I just laughed at her impatience. It's not unlike her to ring me several times an hour while I'm in Minnesota. We love talking to each other. But of course she kept calling so that she could get us timed in perfectly.

I walked thru the door with sunnies on. I felt like Jack Nicholson, and it was practically pitch black. But I didn't need light to hear a big "surprise"! Then I saw about 30 smiling faces and my eyes welled right up with tears. My beautiful family and some of my oldest friends made it and it was absolutely wonderful. Three of us had babies all within about two months of one another. Wild right? We finally got to introduce each other to our babies. I also got to meet my nephew Kenneth for the first time and he's already over one! 

The day was filled with so much love and so many laughs. Mom cooked up salmon wellington for me, broccoli, and mashed potatoes all special request. If you know my Mom you know she's a fantastic cook, so it was obviously delish! I don't think Duncan was in my arms for nearly the whole night apart from his feeds. Just typing this makes me miss everyone all over again. Watching my loved ones loving my son is probably the single most wonderful thing I've ever witnessed. 

Caribou pitstop and I was non the wiser...yet. 
These weasels didn't give up the surprise.


Here are some of the images from the day c/o none other photographer extraordinaire: Julie Abnet

















Big, huge thank you to all involved. It was a truly wonderful day, and I can't articulate just how much I appreciated it. It's a shame we're so far apart, but that doesn't diminish or take away our love even in the least bit. I talk to my sister every day still. How lucky are we to live in this tech crazed world? Without facetime and whatsapp texting I'd be lost, and the distance would feel a lot more obvious. Looking forward to our next visit. Although, we're hinting that everyone needs to come us for the next little while. Flying 10,000 miles with Little D was almost as difficult as having a 15 hour/natural labour. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment