Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Festival Hall: The xx, 05/04/2013





This past Friday my boyfriend made my dream come true. We saw my favorite band, the xx. The band is a trio (once a foursome) out of London. They began playing together back in high school in 2005 and their first album was released in 2009. I was a bit late on the wagon with them. I don't think I discovered them until late 2010. That's a major bummer on my part. I was at Lollapalooza when they were there, but I didn't know of them yet. But once I did it was as if my ears were hearing music for the first time. For the first month or two after I bought their debut album, xx I listened to it every day & every night. I literally would put it on every night as I laid down in bed. Some nights it served as a lullaby, and other nights it served as a distraction, because I couldn't stop listening.
Their second album, Coexist was released in 2012. It only further increased my love for their music.

I was freaking out about what to wear. Why? Cause I'm a girl, that's why. I finally decided on my new J. Bieb shirt, a grey skirt I just picked up, and some tights. Thank goodness for the tank top, because it was stinkin' hot in the venue! Paul wore two long sleeves. I can't believe he kept them on the whole time. I was sweating entirely too much. We decided to drive vs take the train. 
It was probably the best idea. There were two footy games going on that night.
 We probably would have had to stand awkwardly close to strangers the whole time on the train.
 Also, the cost of the meter was actually less than what both of our train fairs would have been.

We caught the last song of the opening act, Jagwar Ma. It's too bad we didn't see more. We were worried about feeding the meter. But from that song I would assume they put on a pretty good show.
http://youtu.be/1vU6a7Haw78

Then was about a thirty minute-hour break while they set up for the xx. We had a beer and I tried to get as close to the front as we could. I warned Paul that I might weird him out with my dancing.
I can get pretty lost in music at a show, especially my favorite band!
Luckily, he said I shouldn't be worried. I didn't weird him out too much.
 A girl in front of us danced much weirder.


Anxiously waiting for the show to begin.




First song. Oliver Sim stage right. That giant orbe of light was a big silver x.




Romy Madley-Croft to the right, Oliver Sim in the middle.



















Oliver Sim.



Romy Madley-Croft. I had a hell of a time getting any pics of her. Sorry for the blurry shot.






I didn't do any "fancyfying" of the photos. what you see is what you get. I couldn't be bothered to put them thru cool filters and pick the coolest one. It wasn't very easy to get a great pic. The lights went from super dark to flashing and lighting the whole room up. Oliver Sim danced around the stage with his base. It was all very mesmerising. 

I feel like I'm going through withdrawals. The night of the show I couldn't sleep, because I just kept hearing their music. The cost of the tickets was a bit steep, $90. But for the show they put on I would have to say it's worth every penny. 

Here's their first single from Coexist, Angels. This was the encore song. So glad I found it on youtube. We really should have recorded some of the songs. But I couldn't stop dancing.

We didn't get home from the show until about midnight. We only had soup for dinner and both of us were starvin' like Marvin! So we drove around Williamstown until we found a pizza joint that was open. It was a shop that's been around since the 70's. They did a damn good cheese pizza!
 We also had some donuts in the house.
Because, well I saw a lady carrying them in the grocery store & thought I want that!
They were only $2 for a pack of six. I have been craving a donut for probably a year. No worries though, between Paul and I we only had a grand total two!
But they were too damn cute to pass up.

Until next time, xx. 


No comments:

Post a Comment